Shell announced an exploration discovery offshore Malaysia. The successful ‘Rosmari-1’ well is located 135km offshore in Block SK318, and drilled to a total depth of 2,123m. The well encountered more than 450m of gas column. With further exploration planned, the finding is a positive indicator of the gas potential in an area of strategic interest for Shell.
“Rosmari-1 is a testament to our ability to successfully drill and build understanding of new geology within our existing exploration heartlands, adding value to our existing assets in Malaysia”, said Andy Brown, director, Shell Upstream International. “We are expanding and rejuvenating heartlands across our exploration portfolio, including in Brunei, Australia and the Gulf of Mexico.” “This adds to Shell’s sequence of recent exploration successes in Malaysia, with these discoveries expanding the company’s heartlands positions”, added Iain Lo, chairman Shell Malaysia.
Shell operates and owns an 85% interest in Block SK318, while the remaining 15% is held by PETRONAS Carigali Sdn Bhd.